The latest Mortal Kombat 11 update adds a big nerf to the much-maligned Sheeva and a buff to Shao Kahn, along with a number of other changes.
After four months, Mortal Kombat 11 has finally received a new update for PlayStation and Xbox, changing the way a handful of characters fight. Among other adjustments, the May 13, 2021 MK11 patch notes detail a nerf to the much-maligned Sheeva and a buff to Shao Kahn.
For fighting games like Mortal Kombat 11, frequent balance changes are often key. Along with more general changes to augments and how certain brutalities looked and sounded, the previous MK11 update in January featured nine character-specific adjustments, affecting the game’s meta as it stood before the May update.
Click the button below to start this article in quick view.
Thursday’s Mortal Kombat 11 patch didn’t include any general changes, but its character-specific tweaks could potentially have a larger impact on the affected fighters. Eight characters received nerfs or buffs, and Sheeva in particular saw notable changes the Mortal Kombat community seems to be behind.
Mortal Kombat 11 May 2021 Update: Character-Specific Adjustments
WB Games released the full patch notes for the MK11 update, which includes the following character changes:
- Sheeva – Now has 950 health (down from 1000)
- Sheeva – Slightly narrowed the hit region for Dragon Drop & it now has a set delay time when delayed & 30 more recovery frames on miss or when hit hitting armor
- Joker – Now has 950 health (down from 1000)
- Cetrion – Now has 950 health (down from 1000)
- Cetrion – Slightly reduced the damage when blocked & flawless blocked of Deadly Winds & Deadly Winds Amplified
- Fujin – Adjusted the victim regions of Knee Buckler (Down + Front Kick)
- RoboCop – Now has 1100 health (up from 1050)
- RoboCop – Don’t Move Creep (Front Punch, Back Punch, Front Punch) now has 2 more active frames & five less recovery frames on block
- Rambo – First Blood (Towards + Front Punch, Back Punch) has three less recovery frames on block
- Rambo – Diddy-Bopping (Away + Back Punch, Back Punch, Back Kick) has more pushback on block & 5 more blockstun frames
- Shao Kahn – You Will Never Win (Towards + Front Kick, Back Kick) now has 3 less recovery frames & can now be 2in1 cancelled when flawless blocked
- Shao Kahn – Hammer Lunge now has less pushback on block & 10 less recovery frames on block & miss
- Shao Kahn – Hammer Lunge Amplify now has more pushback on block, five more blockstun frames & 15 less recovery frames on miss
- Shao Kahn – Ground Shatter has four less rec frames & more pushback on block
- Shao Kahn – Ground Shatter Amplify now has more pushback on block, 10 more blockstun frames, & is now a mid block
Prior to this patch, Sheeva remained a menace since her inclusion as a part of Mortal Kombat 11‘s Aftermath DLC in May 2020. Many Sheeva players tend to spam her Dragon Drop attack until their opponent is defeated. This update makes it a bit easier to counter the maneuver, slightly narrowing its hitbox to make it harder to land and easier to avoid. There’s also now a delay when the move is being used, helping players identify when a Dragon Drop is coming, and a longer recovery time when blocked. These make it easier to punish Sheeva players for missing and will likely make them less inclined to spam the attack. The drop in Sheeva’s max health also makes fighting her less of a slog.
Shao Kahn received the most changes, all boosting two of his moves, Ground Shatter and Hammer Lunge. Ground Shatter is now not only performed a little faster but pushes back opponents on block, allowing Shao Kahn to safely utilize it without punishment. Hammer Lunge now has more pushback when amplified, and Shao Kahn can recover faster from any misses.
Mortal Kombat 11 May 2021 Update: Community Reaction
The Mortal Kombat community’s reaction to the May update appears mixed, with many praising the Sheeva nerfs while criticizing NetherRealm on the lack of changes to characters like Joker, stating health changes aren’t enough and calling it “lazy.” Others, though, are more positive. Even some Sheeva players are surprisingly happy with the nerfs to Dragon Drop. One Reddit user wrote, “Hopefully this will rehab Sheeva’s reputation so I can play her online. I find her pretty fun when played normally.” Other Mortal Kombat 11 players like MilesMutant voiced approval of both Sheeva’s nerfs and Shao Kahn’s buffs, writing, “My boy Shao Khan [sic] got a buff and Spamma got a nerf. Good update.”
Source: WB Games
Venom Merges With Red Skull To Form Marvel’s Most Twisted Tyrant